Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Waiting Game = Over. Welcome Boaz!

Boaz has officially arrived. And this past week has truly been a blur.  To make this story easier to tell and easier for anyone that might want to read it, I'm planning to share his birth story and the following days (up to this point) into a few blog posts.


So - here it goes:

BIRTH STORY

Boaz was due on Wednesday, 11/28. But like his sister before him, he did not arrive on or before the day that we were expecting him. Or the next day. Or the day after that. (I'm starting to notice a pattern here...) We had already decided with my OB, Dr. H., at my last checkup that we would like to induce the following week if he still hadn't arrived. He didn't. So I met my doctor at the hospital this past Saturday night, 12/1, for a 9 PM induction. Here are some pictures of us on our way to the induction "ceremony".

I carry my babies big and low...

looks playful, doesn't it?  ;)

our family pre-Bo
After some basic registration paperwork, we were shown to the Labor & Delivery wing and settled into my room (and new home for the next day). I was hooked up to an IV (albeit poorly - I'm still bruised from the IV) and the Pitocin started flowing. At my initial check-in cervix check, I was at a solid 3 cm and roughly 50% effaced.


The night was largely uneventful. Don and my mom were both with me as my exclusive L&D team. We all napped. Mom worked on her knitting/crocheting. We even watched the crazy new Indiana Jones movie - the one where he survives a nuclear blast by hiding in a fridge. Yes, I know it's a bad movie - but that's what was showing.

As soon as I could, I got the epidural. It was about 2-3 AM when that went down. Also, largely uneventful. And I was much more pleasant overall once it did. I also got a bit more sleep. I think we all slept from then until about 8 or 9 in the morning when the nurses changed shifts.

Also - as a side note: it was nice to be able to compare my childbirth experience the first time around with everything that happened this time. With Anna, I delivered at Prentice - a beautiful hospital with some crabby staff. This time around, I delivered at St. Anthony Hospital - a more run-down hospital with super nice staff, especially the nurses. One of the many things I really appreciated this time around is that I wasn't constantly poked and prodded. There weren't dozens of residents or students or whoever trolling through my room and checking my cervix. Not only is it awkward to have your cervix checked by anyone that wants to - but it's also not very restful. Hence, it was lovely to just fall asleep and not be disturbed at all, especially not to have someone jab their hand up in my baby-making parts to measure parts that aren't meant to be touched.

So when morning time rolled around and we met our nurse for that next shift (I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I don't remember her name - but she was really wonderful. really), we decided Don could take a break to move the car and mom would check out the cafeteria to grab some nourishment for the morning. Dr. H. stopped in before anyone left. She checked my cervix for the first time since I had been admitted. I was only at 3.5 cm and 80% effaced. (I think my water broke about this point...? It's all a blur...) At that point, I was determined that I would be in labor forever and more grateful than ever for the epidural - even though I could feel everything in my left butt cheek (talk about painful). I also felt confirmed that Don and Mom could leave for their respective errands because really nothing was happening.

And wouldn't you know it - as soon as my L&D team was out of the room, my labor started progressing very fast. Even through the epidural, I could feel the contractions coming on and really getting in the way of my relaxing (to say the least). Within about 30 minutes, my nurse came back in with an oxygen mask for me to wear. Apparently, the fast progression of labor caused some distress in Bo - his heart rate was lowering after each contraction. The Pitocin was also turned off until he could recover. My awesome bod took it from there though - I didn't need to turn the Pitocin back on. Rock it.

At this point, my mom returned and I had to explain the oxygen mask. She texted Don and told him to get back to the room. The next thing I know, I'm at 8 cm dilated and 100% effaced. The nursing staff called Dr. H. who came back after her rounds - turns out it was perfect timing. It feels like all my progress happened between 9 am and 11 am. I started pushing about 11 am. And pushed for only about 45 minutes before Boaz Thomas Donald Bratschie was welcomed into this crazy world of ours.

after his bath - Boaz is ready for his debut!
I'm definitely proud of my PR this time around. I cut my L&D time almost in half from about 22 hours to 12 hours. And my pushing time was slashed from 2:45 to just a flat 45 minutes. If I keep this up and have another kiddo at some point I might be able to deliver the wee one in about 6-8 hours, including pushing time. But no - there are no plans for future kiddos at this point - I'm just stoked that I wasn't in labor for over 20 hours.

As soon as Boaz was delivered, he was placed on my chest and he squirmed and wiggled his way into my heart.  Don took the honor of cutting the umbilical cord (so if Bo has a funny belly button, you know why. Kidding. Sort of.) And then it was time for recovery before being taken to the mommy recovery room portion of the birthing floor...





No comments:

Post a Comment