Sunday, March 14, 2010

still preggers... and some venting...



and just waiting it out at this point.

So here's the venting:
When I'm out in public, it's common for some stranger to ask me when I'm due.  I've learned to stop saying "any minute now..." because they ALWAYS respond with "please don't have your baby here".  (It's become obvious that really no one wants to watch a stranger have her baby in public).

Our first experience with that was the Target check-out line.  I thought it was funny and blogged about it with good humor.  Since then, it's happened much more frequently - in restaurants and even in the elevator at my weekly OB checkup.  Almost everyone in the elevator got in on that one, much to my dismay.  I'm not sure if these people are joking around with me and just not funny, or if they seriously think that I could go from zero to sixty in the course of 18 floors in a super fast and smooth elevator ride (about 20 seconds).  And if they honestly think that just asking me not to have my baby would be sufficient enough for me to be able to hold it in until they're a safe distance away... 

And I think the most offensive part is that they assume that I would really like to have my baby there (wherever there is) right with them.  Yep - being in labor in a moving elevator with 6 strangers, none of which were doctors, sounds like an ideal birth story to me (or the Target checkout, or the local brunch spot, etc)... how about you?

So now, when people ask me when I'm due, I usually tell them that I'm not due for at least another week.  Which is kind of true.  But I have a feeling I'll keep telling them that if Baby's still hanging in way past the due date. 

And just to put everyone's mind at ease - I completely plan on having this little one at the hospital with my loving husband and the attentive labor and delivery team.  Apparently, they're the only ones that want to be around for this anyway...
blogspot visitor

1 comment:

  1. I would very much love to be there.
    Mama Mags

    ReplyDelete